Ground Rice, Barley, Quinoa, or Millet Cereal for Baby Recipe
You can make your own baby cereal, like this millet cereal for baby, with rich whole grains as a great replacement for white rice baby cereals, and it’s easy to make! See why Dr. Greene recommends brown rice and other whole grains here.
Ground Rice, Barley, Quinoa, or Millet Cereal for Baby Recipe Summary
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Baby Food
- Skill Level: Easy
- 2 cups any combination of brown rice, barley, quinoa or millet
- filtered water
- Calories: 257
- Protein: 5 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Carbohydrates: 54 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Sugar: 0 g
- In dry skillet over medium heat, toast 1 to 2 cups brown rice, barley, quinoa, or millet for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Grains should begin to pop.
- Cool completely. Store in covered jar.
- To serve: Grind desired amount of toasted grain to fine powder in seed grinder or blender.
- Whisk together 1 part cereal powder and 6 parts water.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, or until soft and smooth.
For the rest of the family, use 1 part cereal to 4 parts water. Cook 15 to 20 minutes.
Published on: August 09, 2010
Get Dr. Greene's Wellness RecommendationsSignup now to get Dr. Greene's healing philosophy, insight into medical trends, parenting tips, seasonal highlights, and health news delivered to your inbox every month.